Saturday, May 8, 2010

PRINCE PLANET: YUSEI SHONEN PAPII CANDY TOYS AND MORE

The 1965 classic anime, Yusei Shonen Papii 遊星少年パピイ (Planet Boy Papii) is the staple of my childhood memories known as none other than Prince Planet. I watched this monochrome gem on Chicago's WSNS-TV 44 in the early 70's dubbed by AIP. Instead of giving you a run down of the series that has been done a zillion times before, I thought I would share something a little different. Prince Planet's Japanese sponsor, Glico offered several little extras that came along with their candy products. Not only did these products come with delicious chocolate, gum, or candy, but you got a prize, oh yeah don't forget the cool package design too. Everything from rings to action figures, you were always sure to get something cool.
Papii Gum came with character buttons
Various kinds of chocolate.
A mini light-up pendant!!!
I would have loved these as a kid.
A cool whistle and when you blow it, Prince Planet spins.
Yum! Yum! Prince Planet gum.
Even the girls get something nice.
Papii Panorama Scope
I would have traded all of my Mego dolls for this, bye bye Aquaman.

5 comments:

  1. I grew watching this show on WSNS-44 as well, and it certainly is a shame that we didn't get candy and toys like this in the states. I too would have traded any and all of my action figures for the opportunity to own my very own pendant!

    By the way, I posted a couple of Japanese Papi episodes with English subtitles here, if anyone wants to see them (although my copy is missing the Glico sponsor tag).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I just heard Captain Dave's head explode : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nanto, just want to point out that your subs rock! We need more people like you who believe in fansubbing the classics! Huzzah for you and hinotori!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome...I grew up watching this in Melbourne Australia in the early 70's. Love the background design in the pics you posted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely Cap'n Dave's head is all over the place now.

    ReplyDelete